The proficient with IDE has high correlation with developer’s productivity. One way to significantly improve it is to eliminate mouse usage and rely on shortcuts & keyboard.
In my opinion, the saved time (0.5-2 seconds) is not much but it avoids interruption in the “flow” of your thought.
Hence, I recommend all developers who work with JS (And IntelliJ/Webstorm 🙂 ) to watch this video.
I summarize some of notable ones here (in Windows), categorized by their relation to make it much easier to “chunk” into your brain
Jumping between files (2:10)
- Ctrl + E = Open recent file
- Ctrl + Shift + N = Open file
- Alt + 1 = Jump to file navigation
- Esc = switch focus back
- F4 (on Project file navigation) = open the file and switch focus
- Shift 2 times = Find everywhere (Use for finding menu item) ex.
- Show/hide navigation bar
- “Reopen project”
- Alt + Home = Open navigation bar
- Alt + 7 = Jump to Structure
- Ctrl + F12 = Popup structure
- Ctrl + N = Navigate to class
- Ctrl + Shift + Alt + N = Navigate to symbol (ex. Type “C.m” for method mxxx inside the class Cxxx)
- Ctrl + Alt + Left/Right = Navigate back and forth
- Ctrl + tab = Switcher
- Ctrl + B = Jump to declaration (better use Ctrl + Shift + I for the pop up of declaration)
- Ctrl + F11 = Set bookmark
- Shift + F11 = Open bookmark
- Ctrl + Shift + F12 = Hide all windows
- Ctrl + Shift + Left/Right = Resize the windows (doesn’t work on editor)
Selections & Editing & Jumping inside editor
- Ctrl + W = extend selection
- Ctrl + Shift + W = shrink selection
- Alt + Up/Down = jump to previous/next class/interface/function declaration
- Ctrl + Shift + Up/Down = move selected line(s) up/down
- Ctrl + D = duplicate line
- Ctrl + Y = delete line
- Ctrl + Shift + V = access clipboard
- Ctrl + / = comment/uncomment line
- Ctrl + Alt + T = Surround and add
- Type “#myDiv>ul>li*10” and press Tab
- Ctrl + Shift + space = smart completion (for dynamic language like JS)
- Ctrl + Shift + Enter = Auto completion the line (put semicolon, bracket and go to the next line)
- Alt + Enter = Language injection
- Multiple Editing
- Alt + Shift + Click = Add more cursors
- Ctrl + Shift + Alt + J = Select all occurences
- Ctrl + Shift + Alt + T = Refactor
- Reformat the code
- Ctrl + Alt + L = reformat
- Live template
- One of the most powerful unused feature, See this for ideas.I’ll suggest setting this up for console.log/initialize your unit test/class/etc.
- Also, look for templates for your favorite library. For example, there is a live template for bootstrap which I really appreciate time-saving of typing those col-xxx-xxx for all sizes.
Want to go more?
- Plugin IdeaVim -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlREhZ-orlk
- Plugin AceJump -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK8eM50DsAY